Monday, 11 March 2013

The second of our animal's stories - meet Inca aka 'Hissing Sid'

Following on from the story of Horrace and how he came to be in Turkey, the second cat we brought with us from the UK is Inca our little black female cat.

Inca aka 'Hissing Sid'

David has had Inca for 14 years since the morning he was walking his dogs and one of them went off into the undergrowth by the side of the road. He went to see what they had found and saw what he thought was the tiny body of a kitten about two weeks old laying dead in the hedgerow. He put the body in his pocket with the intention of burying it when he returned home and continued on his walk. However, some minutes later he felt movement from his pocket and realised this tiny little scrap was actually still alive.

Later at home he managed to warm the little body up and feed it some milk through a pipette and gradually over the next few days her condition improved and she survived.

Inca presumably because of her poor start in life has never been a large cat, later in life she lost half her tail when it was bitten by a dog, and more recently had to have all of her teeth removed, but what Inca lacks in stature and body parts she makes up for in sheer bloody mindedness!

One of her favourite pastimes in the UK was to run from neighbour's cats who visited the garden. On seeing them she would sprint up the garden launching herself through the cat flap full pelt, then would sit up against the glazed door and spit and hiss at them from the safety of the house, with support beside her in the form of our Labrador.

Inca doesn't like people. Inca doesn't like other cats, Inca doesn't like certain cat foods and would starve to death before she would give in and eat them, actually Inca doesn't like lots of things and is probably the most anti-social cat known to mankind. Inca is the epitome of cutting ones nose to spite ones face, so the move to Turkey was always going to be difficult for her.

On the morning of our move to Turkey with all our jobs completed and the car loaded ready to leave the last thing was to load up the animals. Horrace went in his basket and into the car, Tyson (our dog) got into the car, then guess what no Inca! Somehow she had managed to get out of the house and escape. We whistled, we called, we rattled cat food tins and feed bowls all to no avail. We walked the garden from one end to the other - not a sign of her.

The day of finally moving to another country is an emotionally charged affair, so you can imagine I'm sure that this situation soon led to accusatory 'speeches' about who had let her out, statements vehemently denied of course by both parties involved, and opinion's becoming louder and more expletive as the minutes ticked by and total panic kicked in.

With ourselves and the animals booked on a flight that clearly was not going to wait for us, this was a dilemma of gigantic proportions. In the end we locked the house up and David took the keys to drop off with our ex landlord whilst I continued to walk round and round the garden and up and down the road calling Inca, trying not to let my voice reach the hysterical pitch that I felt inside.

Half an hour later David returned and still no sign of Inca at all. We are now nearly an hour later then the planned departure time. Time apart had calmed our tempers though and we stood and talked more rationally about what we were going to do. The reality was there was no choice - we had to go. However, we agreed that Inca being Inca, she rarely left the garden so we decided as a last ditch attempt we would quickly walk every inch of the garden looking for her.

We looked in the bushes, in the sheds, under tiny things that she wouldn't have fitted under in total desperation. Then suddenly I heard a shout followed by a loud MEEOOOOOOOOOOOW and then a big splash. David then appeared from the bottom of the garden soaking wet and bleeding with Inca held in a vice like grip in his arms. He had looked in the compost bin and seen a pair of eyes looking at him, as he went to grab her she shot out of the compost bin and across the garden. Knowing this was his one and only chance he threw himself through the air to grab her (which he did) but the momentum made him trip through a thorny bush and they both landed in the fish pond!

So we finally left for the airport with a very unhappy Inca in her basket, David soaked and his legs and arms bleeding from his confrontation with the bush and the pond.

On arrival at our new home in Turkey Inca ate and drank and then went up the chimney where she spent the next two days, although food we had left disappeared during the night. On the third day she came down, shot out of the door and went up the mountain next to the house for another two days. On the fifth night she arrived home again and joined the family as though nothing had happened.

Inca being cross because her photo is being taken

Normal behaviour then continued until our first two Turkish rescued animals joined the family in June of last year. You may have read about her reaction to that in our previous blog post  'Hissing Sid'. Life has now settled for her and she is happily enjoying her life in Turkey in spite of having new friends. That is until people come to stay of course which will upset her again. I think she actually enjoys being difficult. Inca doesn't 'do change'!!


  1. Great story and a very very lucky cat.

    1. Thank you. I think she has used up most of her nine lives by now.

  2. What a character! She really has a mind of her own doesn't she?

    1. She so has Ayak. A very difficult little madam!